Monday, October 20, 2014
Burda 6990: Cool Weather Raglan Top
I've made Burda 6990 two times in the past, you can see them here. One is a running top and the other a sweater. This is View A. I used this beefier then average navy and red striped cotton jersey I picked up on my Fabric Mart trip a few weeks back, from the Julie's Picks Club. The red is a really nice ponte I got from Mood Fabrics, it's leftover from a really terrific dress I made for a friend and never blogged about.
I made my standard Burda size of 42 and graded out to a 46 hip. I've found that the seam on the raglan shoulder, front and back, have this really weird bulge to them and had to take that in... I did that for my past versions as well. I also took in the sleeve width about a 1/2" (1.25 cm) because they were baggy. With that, it ends up all being no too tight or too loose. A center back seam would have taken care of the fabric pooling in back, but since I'm working with stripes it would have been weird looking. I opted for the mild pooling of material. Whatevz.
I want to make more of these basic tops! The pattern is a blank slate for sure. I added a binding on the neckline and wide cuffs to the improvised 3/4 length sleeve. I would made long sleeves but my scrap of red ponte was too short. I did NOT lengthen this top as I usually do for Burda. I am 5'8" (1.73 m) and found this to be a nicer long length shirt right from the envelope.
I was in the mood for some zig zag top stitching so I decided to forgo the twin needle. I kinda like the detail of it. Here's a grumpy face. I can't take myself that seriously when I'm in my backyard getting photos taken of me, I'm sure half my neighbors think I'm a weirdo.
It's a perfect top for fall. I often don't get quick reaction from my husband on things I make but I walked downstairs in this shirt this morning and he commented on how he liked it. I get man points for this one. I'm not sure what man points are.
Oh, my garden is now a cat's litter box and a random container of various other crap. But I do have decorative corn stalks, as sad as they look. I've been working on a winter coat. I've had one failed muslin and have another one in the works. Plus I got a really interesting long term sewing proposition last week. More to come on that...