Saturday, April 20, 2013

Floral Dress: Tracy Reese Vogue 1343


I had some trials and tribulations with this Tracy Reese pattern from Vogue (V1343) but it ended up fairly decent.  Just don't look toooo close!  Some of the small errored details are blurred nicely with this floral fabric.  I used a rayon challis from a Fabric Mart fabric bundle.  This fabric can be a bit hairy to use since it frays easily and is can be delicate, but this was a perfect pattern choice since only french seams are used enclosing and strengthening the seams.




There are lots of pretty details, the draping neckline, the buttons on the upper back, the faux wrap tulip skirt,  and the pleating on the waist and bodice pieces.  It's an easy dress to wear with an elastic waist and very loose fit.  I cut a size 14 and graded the hip and bum area between a 16/18.  I also added an inch to the bodice length as I'm 5'8" and these patterns are designed for gals who are under 5'6". 


I sewed up the bodice and slipped it on to check the fit.  I had to trim some length on the back waist a smidge for my usual sway back alteration.  But holy cow... the draping on the front neck line was ridiculously low... so low I didn't take a photo to demonstrate how low because it would have been too embarrassing to post online.  The drape fell below my entire bra front and dipped past it! I double checked to see if I cut the correct size (I did).  The addition of an inch to the bodice length was well below the line of the drape, so this should have not effected this freakishly low dipping bodice.  The fabric is cut on a bias but I was careful not to stretch it out, still even if I pulled it as tight as possible on the bias I couldn't have forced the neckline that low.  Also the sleeve openings were massive.  All of this evidence points to poor pattern drafting, which I am a bit surprised with.  I'd love to see what others have experienced while making this dress.

   
All of my lovely seams and bias tape were sewn up ever so perfectly already and the lining was perfectly in place.  I reviewed my alteration options to bring the neckline to a respectable location and decided to slash it apart.  I took my scissors and cut right above the seam lines below the front shoulders.  I removed about a  FOUR inch length of fabric, then re-sewed it as a french seam and top-stitched.  The results are above.  Not bad!


The bodice is super full and I really like the buttons and pleating details in back.  All of the hems and edges are finished with bias tape made from the fabric.  I highly recommend breaking out your 1" (2.5cm) wide bias tape maker to help you!  I have a bias tape maker but it's the wrong size!  So I folded and ironed the yards of bias by hand.  I hand sewed the blind hem on the skirt while watching Episode 3 of The Great British Sewing Bee.   

In the end, I like this dress.  It's REALLY comfortable and the print is so lovely on the fabric.  I just need to relax and forget about the tiny imperfections.


11 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you made this- fiorst off it looks great, but your info is making me less worried about starting one myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! Print is pretty and the cut is very flattering! ALL of my garments have some sort of mistake or error only known by me... nothing goes together perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's lovely! The fabric is pretty and the dress has a nice shape. I really like the buttons on the yoke in the back. Such a sweet little detail.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! Give it a try... the directions are really clear and easy to follow... they spell things out nicely and would be ideal for the more advanced beginner who has made a other garments with success and wants to work on a piece with a number of easier but pretty details.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Jenny. I know, I never ever am able to have a 'perfect' garment... after all, it's handmade, that's part of the charm!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Becca! I love the loops on back for the buttons, it's such a simple technique, easier then sewn button holes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This dress is just beautiful! I really love the details in the back, and definitely wouldn't have guessed you had such problems with the pattern. I've been curious about that pattern, so it's interesting to hear about your experience with it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your dressing looks very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, what a good save on the bodice. That's incredible! 4 inches. I've had a couple bloopy pattern pieces, but yours takes the cake. You did a great job fixing it, and your dress is really lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks! I think the buttons are what sold me on this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks! I am glad I was able to work something out to fix it.

    ReplyDelete