I couldn't wait to get my hands on a Deer&Deer pattern last year after reading Paunnet's blog entries about them. If you haven't heard of this lovely little French indie pattern company yet I am sure you will be seeing a lot more of her work very soon popping up on more blogs. There are a handful of sweet and simple designs available both in French and now translated in English. Last month there was a call for help in editing the translated directions- I volunteered just to get a taste of how they are written and what I would expect when I finally sewed one up. I edited a different pattern then Sureau and knew I would have zero issues with putting one together. They are well written and easy to follow, plus you'd never know they were translated if you weren't told so (very unlike Burda patterns, which I am always amused by because of the broken English.)
I used a pretty yellow linen. I started off with a size 42 for the neck, shoulder and sleeves, and then 44 for the rest of the dress. It was pretty dang huge and I had to take it in about two sizes. I would like to see a the finished measurement on these patterns so I could have work from them instead. The sleeves are VERY generously sized and I took them in about two inches. I wasn't too worried about having to take it in since I was considering this a practice run anyhow. I plan to make more after tracing off a size 38/40.
I am really happy with the length of the bodice and skirt. I am 5'8" without shoes and find (almost) all patterns are designed for figures under 5'6". It actually hits my natural waistline without alterations and the skirt is right above the knee. In my next version I want to get the neckline to lie flat. In this one I folded up the sleeves a couple times because linen is a butt and creases the second I bend my arms making it look really sloppy. But I do like the casual and slightly rumpled material. It's very comfortable.
I really like this dress. It's an everyday sort of garment, very easy and fast sewing. The front has a faux button placket and the itty bitty dark green buttons are just hand sewn on for decoration. I have plans to make this one again. I have my eye on the Belladone dress now... I should have just ordered it with this one!